I have noticed that this blog was lacking recipes. My apologies, but since I have discovered the weird issues which involve having some sort of fans, not the superfans, if not the ones who believe they have a secret identity and everything is some sort of spy game… Well, isn’t this crazy enough? Do I really need to explain it? I do not think so. Anyway, I am not going to do it.
The case is that like a good otter I am obsessed with food. And the other day I was watching my Instagram feed, and Goop girls let me like: “What?” All for this The Healthy Cake Recipe:
I am sorry, I have lack of time. It has been my fault at that moment I did not get the link. So today I had been watching on their recipe Goop section… And I could not find it… Anyway, I have discovered at the very beginning they were not so healthy, and their pictures were not so perfect which has given me hope. I am in that phase yet, arrived the age of Ms Paltrow it would have the magazine empire. Isn’t this how it works?
Anyway, I was surprised because I thought: “Common! This is la pastela, and it is the only sort of cake we had around here when I was a kid!” And with this I mean, skip the fruit and the whipped cream too. Because we made it VERY HEALTHY on these lands. So after to discover that I had been eating half of my life healthy cakes, I had decided the world needs to know the UNHEALTHY CAKE. Why? Because here we only had two types of cakes for celebrations of all sort. Not cupcakes, not puddings, not fancy pavlovas or another kind of stuff. So with love and remembering the so many birthdays September brings… Be a bit unhealthy.
The cake had two versions the adults and the children’s one. I show you the adults. The children changed the coffee and butter for a thick cocoa milk, not chocolate melted -that was expensive-, it was a simple cocoa milk thickened sometimes richer in chocolate, sometimes with tonnes of starch and the kid who were lucky enough had the local M&Ms for decoration. If not, no even that. Still, like we are all a bit grown up here, I think people are allowed to drink coffee so adult Unhealthy Cake version for everyone. I hope you try it and like it.
The Unhealthy Cake
- 1 package of 500gr of cereal biscuits or digestive biscuits.
- 500gr margarine (butter). Room temperature.
- 500ml of coffee.
- 50gr sugar (add more to taste if you need it).
- Caramel or chocolate syrup (optative)
- First things first. Prepare coffee. I will add the link to the video of how to make it by Goop, but that is the USA version. Here we used the Italian pot. Anyway, here you have it. The process could be utilized for this cake too.
- Let it cool and add sugar. Here, you should know the lack of amount of sugar is given because sugar was also expensive. So people did not use it so much. Not that, not any sweetener. Still, it is because I am showing the Unhealthy Cake version. In our days, you can add as much sugar as you want to this coffee to your taste. Or any other sweetener, have in mind all the sweet flavour comes from the amount you will decide to put. And yes, we did not eat it sweet if you start to wonder.
- Once the coffee/sugar mix is done. Separate the coffee 250ml in one glass and the other half in another broad recipient. Add the margarine and mix it with half of the coffee. Do not whip it, it is not a fluffy buttercream if not a butter flavour. Just mix it evenly until you see it has absorbed the coffee in the mix. Depending on the room temperature, sometimes it takes more than 250ml, but usually, it takes less. If it takes less add it to the other coffee or left the cream watery, it does not really matter to have big cooking skills for to make this.
- Choose a platter or any other clay or crystal recipient with a low border. Not need to be very high, neither for to bake it. Sometimes a wide tupperware served. Put a layer of biscuits covering the base and lightly moisture them with half of the coffee. Add a layer of the coffee cream. Repeat the process covering everything with biscuits. Wet the biscuits and add another layer of coffee cream. Repeat the process as so many times as you want to make the cake thicker or until you will run out of ingredients. I tell you the trick they used here. They took large recipients for to make the recipe. So it was only possible to make as much as 2 layers or 3 of biscuits. And that way, it gave more servings. Up to you.
- End with a coffee cream layer, not in fancy ways like you can see. If you want to be fancy, just pour some syrup for decoration, but that would be an extra, extra, extra. Not the traditional.
- Let it rest overnight in the fridge. It serves better chilled, not cold. And with a more intense coffee pairing. Beware of to eat so much, it is not very digestive. Good luck.