A few weeks ago it was the Eurocup. Cristiano!!! CR7!!! Portugal!!! Yeah!!! Sorry, being the football team from my country turning back to the old curse of the quarter-finals (sorry, it is something only Spaniards or well-known people understand about) the next one to support are my neighbours, the Lusos! And after the French. Because we all know that here at Europe everybody is a huge football family but the French have always tended to be a bit cocky. I think it is for the rooster…
Anyway, I was desperate. Like a football fan I needed the perfect snack time recipe and when my cooking imagination gets blocked I use to ask for inspiration to Jamie Oliver or Goop. Why? Because in all those years I do not have any complaint about anything I have tasted from their ideas, au contraire mes amis, au contraire!
On this case, I have taken this It’s All Easy classic and I have made it a bit my own. I have done it with potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini, broccoli… The secret is not on the veggie if not in to leave it very crunchy to the taste of the dip. Ready? Match set. Go!
For the dip:
- 1 can of white beans
- 2 garlic gloves
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- chopped chives (optional)
- 2 middle size potatoes
- 2 carrots
- add more veggies like it has described before (optional)
- 4 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs of fresh rosemary (optional but I like this way)
- Preheat your oven at 245ºC. Prepare a huge baking sheet and peel so many veggies as you like. Do not forget to cut them as thinly as you can. If you do not have enough chef or knife skills, or you are under age and you are not allowed to touch sharp things, you can use a mandolin -the kitchen thing not the instrument-. If even that, mum or dad does not let you play with those things, please, consult your tutor or mentor for to prepare this.
- Put all the veggies on the baking sheet. Toss everything in enough olive oil. If you see the vegetables are a bit dry do not be shy to add more oil. Salt and pepper everything to taste. I like to add some rosemary but just because I like the taste. However, this is optional. The fun part of this recipe it is that it accepts any herb or spice to the making. Be creative.
- When everything is well combined put it in the oven and wait for more or less 1 hour to be done. Do not forget to take a peek, in time to time, and to move the veggies. If not they get stuck and glued and not crispy. It is not a bad taste but it loses the fun side of the chip: crunchiness.
- For the dip. On a food processor add the beans, oil, salt to taste and garlic. Close the lid firmly and press the button on the machine. Please, be sure the machine is plugged to the electric current. It seems stupid to say this but, do you know it is one of the main causes why machines do not use to work?
- After a huge noise, the sauce will be done. Basically, when everything looks blended. Taste it and correct the amount of salt for your taste. If it is fine: good job. If not repeat part of step 4 again. Not need to add another can of beans… Just in case.
- If you are a chive lover or you love other herbs, you can also be creative here and add what you want. But with moderation. I give for granted people only will apply step 6 if they have enough common sense.
- Probably, around those times, your oven will beep you or your phone alarm buzz you to tell you the veggies are crunchy and fancy. So, do not forget at which time is scheduled the competition: Olympics are around the corner. And watch it. Then tweet about it for to be the envy of all the haters who dislike football plus they do not know how to cook. It’s all easy.