Sgt. Pepper’s usual schedule has been a bit shaken in the past months as most of you know. Being quick and short, I am only going to say there are so many things in this world that I did not have an idea they existed, even less, that they could happen to me. So, it has been a huge shock in which I needed some time for to digest everything.
Happily to come back to my daily unpaid routine which only pretended to be a proof of my reel for to try to get a paid job and, most important, to keep me busy. I am going to give my best to bring this site back to the normality and that meant, the month started with a new recipe.
On this case, it is an experiment that I have decided to apply and which resulted in my brunch addiction for several weeks. It is a classic French toast recipe but with not a very sweet result if not a contrast of the sweetness of the fruit with toasty black pudding, that for the ones who are not aware of the British breakfast traditions, it is one of the things Europeans are going to miss after the scandalous Brexit.
Luckily, in Spain, we have such goods too. So we do not need any diplomatic crisis of some sort to can enjoy this simple and quick recipe. I hope you like it and do not forget to add more sweetness if you like it. It is just me, that I do not really like the very sweet things.
French Toast with Apples and Black Pudding
Ingredients (serves two):
- 4 small bread slices or 2 big ones (your favourite bread brand, gluten free if you like)
- 1 beaten egg
- a pinch of salt
- 20ml of soy milk (half and half or milk)
- 1 apple
- 1 tbs of margarine (butter)
- 2 tbs of sugar
- 4 slices of black pudding (blood sausage)
- Peel a large apple and cut it in big chunks. On a heated pan, add the butter, melt it and add the apple. Cook the fruit lightly giving to it a golden touch.
- Add the beaten egg the milk and the salt. Soak the bread in the mixture and making space in the same pan where the apples are cooking, put the slice on the pan to cook it. The French toasts will be ready before the Apple will be done. So repeat the process with all the french toasts and serve them on their dishes.
- When the apple is almost done, add to it the sugar (add more to taste if you want more sweetness). Stir everything for to give to the fruit a caramel crunchy touch while, at the same time, it is cooking the slices of black pudding on the same pan. Let the flavours mix. Even if the black pudding gets caramelised lightly it would be a nice touch.
- Serve over the French toasts some apple chunks and on top the black pudding. You can add some syrup if you wish but that is not necessary. It is optional.
I hope you will enjoy it and you will have a great brunch time. Do not have doubt you will surprise to more than one.